Thursday, October 9, 2008

Kujuraho to Varanasi


Just a short note to say I just finished a perfectly refreshing yoga class at 8 this morning in a peaceful garden in Kujaraho! Sat up in the garden with this yogi and he gave me a 1 hour course, all these pressure points for different health issues, and positions I couldnt quite get, but he was very patient and very wise-yogi type and very smiley. Nice refreshing way to start the day, and now he assures me of no ailments, so if that is true it will be a nice change from my nausea and some stomach issues ive had in the last couple of days here. 

I got a ride here in an Indian Mercedes from an old (well parents age, not old of course) couple and their driver, they were from Holland. Just so nice to offer that to me so I didn't have to take the bus... today I do, for the first time, at 4:30... they say its the most hardcore experience of travel here so we shall see, glad i did the yoga! My hotel here has been very friendly and hospitable, got to see the fascinating and fairly risque kama sutra carvings in the temples yesterday, and the temples themselves are incredibly ornate, just the carving into this sandstone is really unbelievable.

I think I forgot to tell you last time about my cell phone fiasco... in Delhi (which was so much better the second time around with the german girls, and we hired Lucky for a day to drive us around to see all teh major sights!) we were not supposed to bring cell phones in but I forgot mine was in my bra, so i can feel it vibrate if someone calls, and it went off in the metal detector! So I figured I'd better not say anything and she thought it was my keys so let me though. Well I went to the bathroom, and the toilets are the hole-type ones and after I peed my left foot fell right in!!!! So they have these faucets on the walls and so I rinsed it off and was kinda laughing and trying to pull up my pants (which were the indian punjabi suit drawstring kind, you know the ones of course :) ) when my cell phone jumped out of my bra and into the unflushed toilet!! so i did what i had to do, and just stuck my whole hand down in there and fished it out, after a couple days of sometimes working sometimes not, i have enough keys that work that i can actually use it to call pre-existing contacts! Ridiculous. Karma almost, since i wasn't suposed to have the phone in there anyway! Just thought it was a funny story.

Yesterday a 20 year old boy who looked 15 and maybe was followed me forever, talked to me nonstop and i finally decided just to talk to him, we took a walk, and i told him after 20 minutes no i wouldn't go have tea but i did enjoy talking to him. Told him not to follow me down the road because it would creep me out if he knew where i was staying, and seemed to be semi effective. I also told him I was married, but he seemed to genuinely want to talk. This town is particularly bad for the man-followers, even for a "married" woman! I have to craft this whole made up life for myself sometmes, scarily but funnily enough I am getting better at lying! ha. I have also taken up talking to myself when I am lonely, and talking into my cell phone while walking down the street, guys start to talk and then i point to the phone and they say "oh, sorry madam"... its funny. I just talk about the day, or whatever's on my mind. I think I may have gone legitimately insane. One guy I just ignored started yelling at me for ignoring me, saying "she doesn't like Indians. She only likes white skinned people. she thinks she's better than us." And i whipped around and told him that was bull and yelled at him not to speak to me like that. And he shut up. Some people here are so rude if you dont talk to them, and you can't talk to all 200 who try to talk to you all day or you'll go nuts. ah well.

At any rate, more temples today and then at 4:30 the bus for 4 hours to mahoba, then 4 hours to kill and then 1 am overnight train to Varanasi. I'm doing 2nd class AC, best class they have on this train, 4 to a compartment, kinda excited to see what its all about. So next time I write I will be in the Holiest city in India, on the Ganges river with a hotel that looks over the ghats. Please write me at arjanavizulis@yahoo.com if you get the urge or just comment on this thing. Hope you are all well!

No comments: